Formerly known as ACE-IT, these programs are designed to provide training for students wishing to get a head start on a trades career. Students who take these courses are attending college to receive their training. Students receive both secondary and post-secondary credits. All studetns are registered with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and receive a trade worker identification number (TWID).
Youth Train in Trades Programs in partnership with Selkirk College:
- Carpentry 6 month program (starts August)
- Professional Cook Training 9 month program (starts September)
- Hairdressing 9 month program (starts September)
- Electrical 6 month program (starts February)
- General Mechanics 9 month program (starts September)
- Millwright/Machinist 6 month program (starts February)
- Welding 9 month program (starts September)
- Metal Fabricator (starts Februaru)
Students will have to complete English 12 or Communications 12 and Grad Transistions 12 before they graduate. Students get 32 grade 12 secondary school credits for a 9 month program and get 24 secondary school grade 12 credits for a 6 month program. Students must achieve 70% at Selkirk to receive post-secondary credits!
These programs are subsidized by the Ministry of Education and students can apply for SIDIT (a local bursary) but there are still costs associated with them.