The Provincial Scholarships Program is intended to recognize student achievement and encourage students to pursue post-secondary education. The program includes the BC Excellence Scholarship, the BC Achievement Scholarship, and the Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship. Most scholarship vouchers must be used within five years of high school graduation. Check the expiry date shown on your voucher, or see the website below for more information:
BC Provincial Scholarship Information
1) BC Excellence Scholarships -- Expression of Interest Deadline end of January (see below)
The BC Excellence Scholarship is a $5000 scholarship awarded to 55 students, recognizing well-rounded graduates. Each public and independent secondary school in BC may nominate one eligible student, who may then make application for this scholarship through his/her school district or independent school authority.
a. LVR will nominate one student. If you would like to be considered for nomination, please show your interest by contacting Principal Mr. Eaton or Counsellors Mr. Machado/Ms. Wiltshire in December for information. Students will be asked to complete and submit a scholarship resume and letter of interest to Mr. Eaton. The school Scholarship Committee, comprised of counsellors, administration, and senior teachers will choose one candidate using selection criteria (as below) and a scoring rubric by the end of February.
b. To be considered for nomination, students will:
- Demonstrate community service and leadership, both inside and outside of their schools, as well as commitment and aptitude for their chosen paths
- Exemplify competencies such as communication and digital literacy, critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leadership, personal and social responsibility, global and cultural understanding, and creativity and innovation.
Districts/authorities must submit application packages on behalf of their nominees to the Ministry directly. Nominees must meet basic eligibility requirements and be enrolled in or graduated from a BC Grade 12 graduation program and be eligible for a BC Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) by August 31st of the school year in which they are nominated.
The nominated student must apply online (click here), and schools will be notified in May if there are any recipients.
BC Achievement Scholarships recognize the top 8,000 graduates in the province. The Ministry will determine recipients based on achievement in Grades 10, 11, and 12 courses that satisfy B.C. Graduation Program requirements, including elective courses. Grad Transitions will not be included.
A cumulative average percentage will be calculated and form the basis for determining winners, who receive a $1,250 scholarship voucher to use towards their post-secondary tuition.
Students do not apply for this scholarship.
3) Pathway To Teacher Education ScholarshipsThe Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment and aptitude for a career path in K-12 teaching. Winners receive a $5,000 scholarship voucher to redeem when they are registered and attending an approved K-12 teacher education program at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education.
You can't win both a Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship and a BC Excellence Scholarship.
Pathway to Education Scholarship vouchers must be redeemed within 7 years of graduation. Exact expiry dates are printed on vouchers.
4) Youth Work in Trades (WYK) formerly Secondary School ApprenticeshipTrades Scholarship
Students who are eligible for the Youth Work in Trades scholarship will automatically be considered for the award.
To be eligible an Industry Training Authority (ITA)-registered youth apprentice must have:
- Been registered with the Industry Training Authority as a Youth Apprentice
- Graduated with a Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma or Adult Dogwood
- Successfully completed WRK 11A, WRK 11B, WRK 12A, and WRK 12B
- Maintained a C+ average or better on Grade 12 numbered courses *
- Reported a total of at least 900 hours to the ITA by December 31 of the school year the student turns 19 **