Good day out there, LVR Community.
Thank you to those who contributed to our LVR Remembrance Day Assembly yesterday, including special guest trumpeter Keith Todd, the LVR Band, and student speakers Taylor Oldham & Cade McCarthy, along with the audience for holding the space in with respect, honour, and reflectiveness.
Congratulations to Ms. Shippit & the LVR Drama Club, who performed 'Oz' the past Wednesday for the West Kootenay Regional Drama competition and were recommended to move on to Provincials in May! Stay tuned for more information for an evening performance on Friday, November 24th at LVR.
I would like continue to highlight an important project that we have been working on with a small team of SD8 educators and the Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy (CBAL), led by LVR English Teacher, Kari Kroker, and CBAL's Community Literacy Outreach Coordinator, Joan Exley. Recognizing that there are teens & adults who need further support in developing reading skills to access learning, we are training our team on 'That Reading Thing', a literacy program specific to teens & adults. Some of our team is officially training to become tutors to work with students, and others are learning the program for our own awareness that we hope to share with as many others as possible. If you know of a teen who could use this support, please contact Ms. Kroker or me. There will be a choice to do tutoring on-site at the school or off-site at CBAL's office. Please visit https://thatreadingthing.com/ for more information.
As Term ended this week and reports will be published the week of November 24, please be sure that you can successfully log in to the MyEducationBC portal. The student portal is more user-friendly than the parent portal and, for most students, uses the student's 7-digit pupil number as the Login ID and Lvr2023! as the password. Please test this out and contact Julia at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical challenges. In meeting our provincial mandate of five learning updates per year, we will be doing four MyEdBC reports and one set of family conferences in April for the 2023-24 school year.
Drivers & e-bikers, please be sure to slow down and be mindful of pedestrians crossing the school to the school bus and the city bus after school. We are also looking into having crosswalks added in these locations.
- To the Details...
- SD8 2023-24 School Calendar
- Upcoming Dates
- Green Team Meetings - Tuesdays at lunch in Room 207
- Student Council Meetings - Wednesdays at lunch in Room 106
- Green Team Mixed Paper Recycling - Fridays at lunch
- Remembrance Day Statutory Holiday - November 13
- Start of Term 2 - November 14
- ATLAS Students & Parents Meeting - November 14 at 6:30 in LVR Theatre
- LVR PAC Meeting - November 15 at 6:30 in Room 211 & Online - Click here to join the meeting
- Meeting ID: 246 677 813 710
- Passcode: ijPszM
- Early Dismissal at 2:15 - November 15 & 16 - condensed schedule as follows
- Period 1 - 8:40-9:50
- Break 9:50-10:00
- Period 2 - 10:00-11:10
- Lunch - 11:10-11:50
- Period 3 - 11:50-1:00
- Break - 1:00-1:10
- Period 4 - 1:10-2:15
- Dance Trip to Vancouver - November 15-18
- Term 1 Reports Published to MyEducationBC Portals - week of November 24
- LVR Athletics Update...
- November 16-19
- Swimming Provincials in Nanaimo
- November 17-19
- Sr. Boys Volleyball Zone Playdowns in Kimberley
- November 19-23
- Sr. Boys Soccer Provincials in Burnaby
Take care & have a great weekend, everyon.
Dan Rude - Principal, LVR & REACH